Is Google Addicting?

We know Google as our right-hand man: whether we use it for finding out why our stomach hurts, finding recipes for cooking food or even organizing our daily schedule, Google has it all. However, as the saying goes, "too much of a good thing is bad", are we becoming too dependent on the notorious digital platform?

Based off of my personal experiences, Google has been a super resourceful tool for my everyday questions and daily organization of tasks. Some things I normally rely on Google include: planning out my classes, meetings and work shifts or typically will utilize Google Drive and Excel for homework.

With just a small list of some typical things Google may be used for, we can acknowledge that this plays a significant role in our lives. However, addiction may or may not be overlooked; addiction is when one may typically rely on something so much that if they do not get a daily dose, they will suffer from withdrawal. Without Google, we would definitely have to explore other resources or even writing and planning things out the old fashioned way.

While planning everything digitally is convenient, we must be aware that technical difficulties can occur at any time and anywhere. Knowing that the world can and did somehow survive without Google once proves, in my opinion, that we can manage without it.

The "Googlization" of our lives can endanger our privacy and independence depending on what content we are posting and what exterior databases get a hold of our public information and profiles. With that, I do believe it is important to present yourself as you wish to be seen by the entire world, whether you think it will be digitally publicized or not.

I can already tell you all that I have Googled myself a few times and am content with what is listed under my full name; my full name is 99.9% likely to only be mine since it is unique. As someone who strives for a balance between professionalism and expressing myself and my interests, I tend to take into consideration at all times and be aware of what Google is capable of getting a hold of.

Overall, I do feel that Google has enough power to benefit digital consumers. However, in order to avoid addiction or the risk of Google being seen as "evil," I do think that it is critical to understand that since it is a public domain, making ethical choices on what we post can be the best way to ensure that we get the greater good from Google for ourselves. Additionally, using all that Google has to offer and getting in touch with advanced settings can allow people to become aware of various privacy settings.



Comments