Phone Down, Head Up

As I sit through multiple lectures pertaining to social media usage and the internet, I now begin to think heavily about not only mine, but other people's cell phone habits.

While I support social media for the greater good, as well as digitally connecting with anyone everywhere, I also have been thinking about the setbacks of the screen.

Unfortunately, I feel that because of the easy access I have to digital communication, social media and the Internet, my in-person connections are slowly dwindling and my life may feel as if it based off how I present myself online.

photo from: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-get-rude-friends-to-put-their-phones-away-at-dinner-once-and-for-all-2018-03-09











On top of that, I notice that I manage to pull out my phone to respond to a text or simply scroll through Instagram so quickly that my focus on in-person conversations and interactions is not as personal as they used to be years ago.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I typically will look around the dining hall, study area, etc. I am in and notice the same amongst others. On the other hand, I am also happy and thankful to have a select few friends who will literally grab my cell phone out of my hands and snap at me to be present, yet my irritated reaction stuns even me.

This all has me questioning whether or not we are addicted to technology, the digital age and our digital reputation. Did I really celebrate my 21st birthday without posting photos on Instagram? Did I really get extended offer for a summer internship if I do not share the news on Facebook?

While we think using and checking social media keep up on top of things, it may also be pulling us away from developing and continuing personal friendships, relationships and connections with others and taking in life as it happens. What if it is all a slippery slope affect, too? Does technology really make us feel better or worse about staying on top of things digitally?

I find myself, along with close friends, having this discussion a lot, so I found it to be helpful to share these thoughts.

The video below is a representation of how technology changes how we view ourselves, our loved ones and our digital audiences. Will putting the phone down and our head up change our perspective or will we be too blind to even notice a difference? 1:51 is my favorite, and sadly, I have experienced it before.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFHbruKEmw


-Gianna





Comments